VELUX skylights and VELUX skylight blinds are an excellent addition to homes of any era or style. Skylights can be installed in both vaulted and flat ceilings, and VELUX even offers options for attics. Perfect for spaces from kitchens and bathrooms to patios and hallways, there’s a VELUX product for every job. Let’s take a closer look at the many benefits of VELUX skylight products for contractors and homeowners.
Benefits of VELUX Skylights for Contractors
Choosing VELUX skylights for a project offers contractors a wide array of benefits.
Increased Job Profitability
As a contractor, one of your main goals is maximizing usable square footage for increased job profitability. Adding skylights is proven to lower a job’s average cost per square foot by $9. And the unique look and feel of skylights will impress homeowners and set you apart from the competition.
Easy, Cost-Effective Upgrades
Along with increasing profitability, the affordable cost of VELUX blinds can boost job quality. Adding factory-installed solar skylight blinds can almost double your revenue per skylight. And factory-installed, room-darkening blinds also increase skylight U-value by up to 40% when in the “down” position.
When you choose VELUX, replacing old skylights is also quick and easy. In fact, in most cases, it only takes 30 minutes or less. Best of all, replacing old skylights and including VELUX skylight blinds saves homeowners up to $200 in cooling costs annually.
Utilize Attic Space
Finally, installing VELUX products help you to take advantage of attic space, which is often wasted. VELUX Sun Tunnel® skylights allow you to work around attic obstructions, like rafters or chimneys. Plus, they can be installed in under two hours. We’ll explore the Sun Tunnel® line in more detail below.
Benefits of VELUX Skylights for Homeowners
There are also many benefits of choosing VELUX skylights for homeowners.
Valuable Tax Credits
When you choose qualifying VELUX products, you can receive a 26% solar tax credit in 2020 (or 22% in 2021) on purchase and installation costs. This is thanks to the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act (2008) and the American Recovery & Reinvestment Act (2009).
VELUX is committed to ensuring that their products help reduce the global carbon footprint. This inspired the VELUX Go Solar initiative, which is designed to reduce energy consumption and provide energy savings to homeowners.
The following VELUX products qualify for the Federal Solar Tax Credit:
- VELUX Solar-Powered “Fresh Air” Skylights
- Other VELUX Skylights with Go Solar
- VELUX Residential Rigid Sun Tunnel® with Solar Night Light
- VELUX Solar-Powered Blinds
You can use VELUX’s federal tax credit estimator tool to get an idea of your savings based on the product you choose.
Variety of Options Available
Another benefit of VELUX skylights for homeowners is the wide variety of skylight and skylight blind options to choose from. Here’s a snapshot of the products you can select, along with a few pertinent details:
- Solar-Powered “Fresh Air” Skylights (eligible for Go Solar). These feature a solar panel that uses daylight to recharge a battery-powered control system.
- Electric “Fresh Air” Skylights. These open and close with the touch of a button.
- Manual “Fresh Air” Skylights (eligible for Go Solar). These open and close using a turning handle.
- Fixed Skylights (eligible for Go Solar). These do not open or close.
- SkyMax Skylights. These products offer double the square footage of standard skylights.
- E-Class Skylights (eligible for Go Solar). These have a larger glass area for 46% more daylight than standard skylights. They also install right out of the box in roughly one-third the time of standard skylights.
- Sun Tunnel® Skylights (eligible for Go Solar). These fit between rafters and other attic obstructions, and their reflective tunnel delivers sunshine from your roof to your ceiling.
- Flat Roof Skylights (eligible for Go Solar). These are designed for homes with flat or low-pitch roofs. You can choose from roof access and Sun Tunnel® styles.
- Roof Windows. These in-reach windows open manually to maximize air flow and natural daylight. The Roof Access style offers easy access for repairs, maintenance, and egress, and the CABRIO™ style transforms from a roof window to a balcony in seconds.
- Architectural Skylights. These are lightweight and capable of spanning up to 40’ wide and have insulated panels help control heat gain and loss in all types of weather. Modular options that don’t require rafting or beams for support are available.
Blinds to Satisfy Any Style
You can pair your skylight with a wide range of high-quality VELUX skylight blinds in light-filtering, room-darkening, and Venetian styles. Plus, blinds can be pre-installed into your skylight for free.
Convenient “Smart” Options
VELUX ACTIVE with NETATMO allows you to open and close your skylights and blinds with the sound of your voice or a smartphone app. This product uses smart sensors to continuously adjust indoor climate levels by opening and closing your skylight automatically. Plus, it can be easily installed without professional help.
VELUX skylights offer three layers of water protection to guard against rain leaks in your home. The first layer is a gasket seal for leak-proof installation. This is followed by an adhesive underlayment second layer and an engineered flashing third layer.